Thursday, April 9, 2009

Prince

Okay, I fully admit to it. I absolutely love listening to Prince. Especially Prince and the Revolution. Is there anything better than really well done funk? They used synths in a fashion that really was an actual revolution. That is why I am happy to report that I am listening to The Hits albums. I know, I know...just the hits? I've got Prince albums outside of this, but I just got this double disc and am very pleased to give my report on it.

Can I just start of by saying how old this makes me feel? These were songs that I LOVED as a child, but I had to hide from my parents. There were various artists and movies that my mom didn't want my sister or I to see. I didn't see the movie "Dirty Dancing" until I was a teenager because my mom forbid us from seeing it. Of course I thought the movie was ridiculous and had no idea why my mom wouldn't let us see it. I told her what I thought of the movie later on and she said, "well, maybe I prevented you from seeing it because I knew it was going to be stupid." Guns and Roses? Oh, no way. The vocals were too annoying. David Bowie? No. He is supposedly evil. Prince? Fuck no! Too dirty. Too evil. He got the double package there.

To not have to secretly listen to Prince and actually enjoy it as an adult still brings this sense of doing something in secret. It is seductive. It makes you feel like you have your own dirty little secret. I can actually appreciate certain things about this album that I did not understand as a child (because keep in mind I was just a little tyke when the radio was playing "diamonds and pearls.") Outside of the assless pants that I can recall seeing him wear on stage during an MTV awards show (and keep in mind my mom never lets that one drop when I talk about liking Prince), his range in vocals and sensational Revolution's synth stylings are exhilarating.

No comments: